- State v. Blair, 361 Or. 527396 P.3d 90 (2017): landmark Oregon Supreme Court opinion on the scope of consent to search; judgment of conviction reversed.
- State v. Eastep, 361 Or 746, 399 P 3d 979 (2017): Supreme Court construed the meaning of “vehicle” under the unlawful use of a vehicle statute and reversed the defendant’s conviction.
- State v. Derby, 301 Or App 134, 455 P3d 1009 (2019): Reversal of conviction; Court of Appeals held that the police officer lacked probable cause to stop the defendant for failure to maintain a lane.
- State v. Ames, 298 Or App 277, 445 P3d 928 (2019): Conviction reversed; Court of Appeals held that trial court abused its discretion in denying the defendant’s request to waive jury trial.
- State v. Pearce, 294 Or App 775, 432 P3d 1185 (2018): Court of Appeals held that the trial court plainly erred in entering judgments of convictions for contempt, where the state failed to prove that the defendant knew the order he was accused of violating was in effect.
- State v. Jones, 275 Or App 771, 365 P 3d 679 (2015): Fourth Amendment search-and-seizure warrant attenuation opinion.
- State v. Leiby, 293 Or App 293, 427 P3d 1141 (2018): Conviction reversed. Court of Appeals held that the defendant was stopped by the officer under the state and Federal Constitutions when the officer doggedly followed the defendant and then asked the defendant why he was avoiding the officer.
- Matter of Marriage of Lamm, 290 Or App 351, 416 P3d 310 (2018): Court of Appeals held that the trial court lacked authority to award former wife real property that former husband received in dissolution judgment as a remedial sanction for failure to comply with court order requiring payment of spousal support.
Laura E. Coffin
With her attention to detail and critical reasoning skills, Laura has built a solid reputation based on her character and credibility with judges, prosecutors and clients.
Laura, an Oregon native, brings her extensive federal and state court trial experience to the firm’s litigation team. A double-Duck and 2007 Oregon Law graduate, Laura has tried more than fifty jury trials, handled hundreds of appellate cases, and defended clients in complex federal cases.
Laura has always had a keen interest in not only the way our government interacts with citizens, but the ways in which citizens interact with one another and the duties owed to each other that can be enforced by courts. She understands the value of building a relationship with the courts and collaborating with them in a way that benefits the bench, bar and her clients.
During her time as an assistant federal defender, and a deputy public defender for Marion County prior to that, Laura routinely handled complex cases and appeared in court almost daily. While representing hundreds of clients during all stages, from arraignment through sentencing, she has won major sentencing, search-and-seizure cases, and negotiated many victories for her clients.
Laura spent many years working as a deputy defender for the Criminal Appellate Section where she handled a heavy caseload allowing her to hone her courtroom style of being well-prepared, respectful and earnest. The appellate work exposed Laura to areas of law such as auto accidents, domestic relations matters, property disputes, civil contempt and contract enforcement.
Laura’s practice with the firm focuses on representing people accused of crimes, appellate work, and civil litigation. During her free time, Laura enjoys distance running (she has trained with an Olympic coach), voice acting (she has narrated two documentaries), fly fishing, reading and writing fiction, ancient Latin composition, and gardening.
- University of Oregon (B.A. in English Literature, 2004), magna cum laude, Honors in Latin, Dean’s list every term, University Tutor, University student grader
- University of Oregon School of Law (J.D., 2007), ACE criminal law tutor, winner of Moot Court Counseling Competition 2005 and 2006), studied international law at Cornell Summer Institute, Faculte du Droit, Sorbonne, Paris.
- Oregon State Bar
- Lane County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Ninth Judicial Circuit Historical Society
- FBA Board Member
- FBA Haggerty Scholar Committee
- ACLU of Oregon
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer
- Jessup Moot Coach (2018)