Joe B. Richards
Joe devoted most of his career to a practice focused on employment and labor law matters for private and public bodies, especially school districts. Joe retired from Luvaas Cobb at the end of 2016 and now provides pro bono work for the Lane County Legal Aid & Advocacy Center.
While growing up in Ontario, Oregon, Joe worked summers in construction and US Forest Service fire fighting units. A good student, but “one of the lightest fullbacks in school history and clearly the slowest,” Joe eventually focused his attentions on academics and the law, beginning his legal career as a deputy district attorney. He joined Luvaas Cobb in 1955, transitioned from Owner to Of Counsel with the firm in 2013, before retiring from the firm at the end of 2016. Joe now works as a pro bono attorney for the Lane County Legal Aid and Advocacy Center .
Joe’s commitment to “provide the best legal service possible in the briefest time at the most reasonable rate,” extends into the generous gift of his time and knowledge to the community. He has served as an officer or chair of multiple organizations and mentors the next generation of legal talent by assisting University of Oregon law students in their work as interns for the Lane County Legal Aid program and serving as a speaker for the annual minority law students (OLIO) legal writing workshop.
- University of Oregon (B.A., 1951)
- Willamette University (LL.B., 1954) Phi Delta Phi
- Oregon Junior First Citizen, Eugene, 1958
- Active 20/30 Club, past president
- Oregon Legislature State Representative, 1965-1970
- Lane County Bar Association, president, 1971
- Oregon Environmental Quality Commission, chair, 1975-1983
- Oregon Water Policy Review Board, chair, 1985-1987
- Oregon Law Foundation, vice chair, 1993-1995
- State Bar Affirmative Action Committee, member, 1998-2000
- United Way: past board member and president; deTocqueville Society, chair, 2004 and 2005
- University of Oregon, OLIO, host
- Campbell Senior Center, volunteer attorney
- Lane County Legal Aid, supporter and educator
- Professionalism Award, Lane County Bar, 2010