Janice E. Hatton
Janice believes that paying attention to detail is a crucial part of a successful estate plan, whether it be simple or complex. She enjoys working with her estate planning, estate administration and elder law clients.
Publications & Presentations
- Adjunct Professor, Estate & Gift Tax, University of Oregon School of Law
- Co-Author, Oregon State Bar CLE Publication: Administering Oregon Estates, Chapter 6
- Oregon Law Institute (2007) Program Speaker - Probate Primer: “Creditor Claims in Probate”
- Oregon State Bar (2005) Program Speaker - Tools of the Trade for the Elder Law Practitioner: “Revocable Living Trusts and Medicaid”
- Oregon State Bar (2001) Program Speaker - Estate Planning and Probate Cases: “Guardianship and Conservatorship Update”
- Oregon State Bar Estate Planning & Administration Section Newsletter, Volume XIII, NO. 3 (1996) “Preserving the Status of Community Property”
Janice practices in the areas of estate planning, probate and trust administration, guardianships, conservatorships, Medicaid planning and elder law.
Janice was admitted to practice in Oregon in 1991. She is a member of the Oregon State Bar and the Lane County Bar Association. She serves on the Oregon State Bar’s Estate Planning and Administration Section both as an executive board member and part of the editorial board for the section’s newsletter. She is a member of the Eugene Estate Planning Council. Janice has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America for the specialities of Elder Law and Trust and Estates since 2009.
Janice serves the law school community in Eugene as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Oregon School of Law and since 2007 has taught the Estate & Gift Tax course. In 1993 Janice opened a satellite office in Bend, Oregon and maintains an active involvement in serving clients in that area.
Born in Sacramento, California, Janice moved with her parents and brother to Bend, Oregon in 1969 where she grew up in an athletic household. In high school and college, Janice was a competitive runner and alpine skier.
In 2001, Janice and her husband Charlie formed a high school nordic ski racing program and currently coach the high school Nordic ski teams for South Eugene and Sheldon high schools.
- The College of Idaho (B.A., 1987, Political Science and History); Magna Cum Laude, Phi Eta Sigma, Lawrence Henry Gipson Scholar
- University of Oregon School of Law (J.D., 1990); Estate Planning Certificate
- Business Voice Referral Group (1992-present)
- Eugene area high school Nordic Ski Teams, Coach (2001-present)
- Springfield Rotary Club (1997-2007)
- Springfield Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors (2001)